A corporation is legally bound to put its bottom line (profit) ahead of all else, even the public good. It is bound to its shareholders who, more often than not, demand increased value in their shares above all else.
1) What is your take on this?
2) What would it take to get shareholders to place social and environmental responsibility by corporations ahead of the bottom line? (Remember that the board of directors will listen to the shareholders needs)
Comments please.
Thursday, November 22, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
44 comments:
1 that i am right not to have alot of faith in the human race
2 a miracle and complete change of attitude in the minds of all the shareholders. we must inspire and revive their respect for the earth they live on.
1) My take on this is the corporation is only thinking for themselves. They are more interested in making money and profit, and they don't take into thought about the future. They don't think that slowly they are killing the earth, or maybe they do. And, maybe they just don't care. They just care about bringing home that 50 grand a year.
2)For the corporation to actually not think about the profit, and think about the future and whats going to happen to their children, I think it would take a long time for them to realize the outcome. I don't think its a realistic request for them to not think the profit is foremost. It would be worth it, though.
-Kelsie
1) i think that they get enough shares out of this and are to greedy
2)the shareholders should put some of there money toward the environment.
1. I think the corporation and the shareholders are all greedy!
2. The shareholders would all have to agree that the enviroment is more inportant than profit
MR STROMGREN!!!
These are very interesting topics and here is my take on them...
1)I think that all the corperations are too caught up making money to even care whats happening. We all know they're making tons of money, but really, why should they care? They're doing well, and being as greedy as they are, they dont feel the need to improve things for other people. As long as the corperation is doing well, the people in it wont give a darn about the environment/living conditions.
2)For things to change I think stocks will have to be bought on the basis of what that corperation does for other people. If buyers bought the stocks determined by how well the company treats people, all workers would have better living conditions right away.
-Kevin
I think that corperations are only thinking about profit and not so much the future, And sometimes they say they are trying to make whatever it is that there making money off of earth friendly or whatever but i think there full of crap and there just saying that to get more people on there side. They have to start thinking about the future and our children. Because by the time that we start doing anything its to late so just start now before its to late.
1) I have a lot of faith in this and all its talkings.
2) I wish I was a stock holder, wait I might have some in the credit union.... >=0
1. i find that it isn't right cuz they r cheating and lying to the people who buy their products. and yet why are we still buying from them, because we don't know.
2. if the corporations listen to the shareholders than the shareholders just have to tell them what to do.
1) corporatins r thinkinbout them selvs
2)send the 1337 lawyers after them
rofl
1. I think that they are to greedy and they have enought shares allready. It is not right because they r cheating and lying to the people just to buy their product
2. if the coperations listen to the stockholders then the stockholders wont have a problem changing their minds...
1) I dont think its right cuzz they are like liying to everyine so that we will buy there products.
2)I thinkt he shareholders should shut up and put their money were their lying mouth is. haha i really have no idea were to right!!!
i think if we didn't have coorperations we wouldn't have what we have today.
Some people didn't understand my answer so I'll rephase it. Some corperations are bad and some are good. I root for the good ones;)
1 i think the corpoatin should invest in people and the eviroment
2 the people have the power the chang the corporation by selling there shares
1)I think that corperations only care about the money they make and not about any of the people that are affected by the products.
i would bring up the fact that we have only one world, and even though we might not see the consiquences to ARE ACTIONS, but the ones we love, might, and there offspring might have to find a way to fix the mistacks we made, and they will have to do something that really might be a waste of time, if we would have pulled are weight, besides that generation will have their own problems to fix, why give them are as well?
Where would our world be without our Corporations. Corporations are responsable for many of the great acheivments reached in the 20th century. Theese achievments have not been reached easily and would probabaly have not been met at all if it wasn't for the competitive corporate atmosphere. Furthur if corporations were to change their ways and suddenly put the environment and social-politacal issues ahead of their bottom line it would most defenitly cripple the world economy causing perhaps the biggest economic rescison since the "dirty thirties".
All they want is money.They dont care about the people giving them the money.
Shareholders should use there money on something usefull in the world.
1.) my take on this is that they are taking over everything because they just keep on getting bigger and bigger and every thing is just going to disapear.
2.)i think it would take a long time to get them to think of any one or anything other than money.
1) I think that corporations only think of themselves. They don't care about the people of the world, they just care about the money that is given to them.
2) I think that it would take a long time for the corporations to put money last and think of others first.
I think corparations are all about just getting money out of there buyers. They do not considere who and how who they take the money from.
1) I think that corpoations only care about what they can get out off anything they do.
2) Corporations will never put money after what they do cause they are way to greedy.
1) It just proves how greedy man kind is and that we have lost all sence of dignity. I mean when we choose moeny and greed over the lives and safty of others and our inviroment thats pretty sad...
2)I think that the easyest way to make it so share holders will care more about human lives and living conditons is if we can make that more profitable then buying and increasing values on shares, but becuse there dosnt aprear to be a way to do that i dont see us beign able to change it even tho thats rather sad.
1)the corporations are only doing things that are in there best interest to sell their products.
1.Corporations care more about money before anything else, for example sweat shops. They should put people before profit and maybe put a percentage of it towards cancer research.
2.I dont think shareholders would place social and enviromental responsibility before the bottem line because people are just naturally greedy.
I think that shareholders don't really think their actions through-they don't realize that in demanding increased value for their shares they are causing many (probably unwanted) side effects. I think that shareholders are people just like the rest of us, and that they don't always have the environment foremost in their minds. Maybe if there was more media attention on these issues, and people were more exposed to these ideas, they'd realize how much effect their actions have on the world.
1) I believe that the cooperation is legally bound to put profit first isn't TOTALLY wrong. But I don't completely agree with it either.
2) I think what it would take to get shareholders to place social and enviromental responsibility first is the market. The only way they are going to put our health, before profit, is if they go hand-in-hand with each other. If we only buy stuff we know hasn't been made by a 8 year old boy working for 10 cents a shoe. This then makes the shareholders put our health first, even if it is just for there profit.
1. My take on this, honsestly is that its a pathetic and shameful way to make money. The corporations dont care about who or what they destroy as long as they make a profit off of it.
2. The corporation needs to care less about money and realize who they are hurting, because eventually the effects of it are gonna come back and bite them in the a**.
-maddie
1)I think with the bounds,they care to much about money then the realworld. They think money is everything and its not.I dont think that it is wrong of them to be doing what they are doing because they dont know how they are slowly killing the earth, maybe they do but they really just dont care.
2)Because they are so mcuh about the money i think that they should put some of the money towards helping the environment.
1.My take on this whole thing is that the corporation doesnt care and its just an easy way to make money.
2.The corporation needs to start carring less about their self and making money and more about the people and things around them that it effect and the impact on the world.
This movie opened my eyes and showed me how the corporation's are poluting our earth.
1) I think people should tell the truth....
2) I did not read this page...
1 I don't know enough to say what I think about it
2 a higher salary
1) I think that the corporations are way too fucused on making profits and need to start thinking about the future, children, and the environment. They say that things are environmentaly safe but the earth isn't getting better it's getting worse!
2) I think it would be amazing but unlikely and if so, it would be a long process to get shareholders to place social and environmental responsibility by corporations ahead of the bottom line.
I wish i could own my own corporation that would be sweet.
1: I think that going for walk and then discussing some of our emotional needs is a really good idea.
2:The Corporation was omly thinking about the profit, that they forgot about what it is doing to the rest of the world. , I think it would take them a long time for them to realize the outcome of there sillyness.
3: Read This Chuck Norris' tears cure cancer. Too bad he has never cried.
4: Chuck Norris once roundhouse kicked someone so hard that his foot broke the speed of light, went back in time, and killed Amelia Earhart while she was flying over the Pacific Ocean.
5: Chuck Norris doesn't read books. He stares them down until he gets the information he wants.
1)i think that they find making money as their main goal. if they thought of others and not money, they might actually be liked a lot more.
2)The shareholders should think of others rather than themselves and money
1 why are coperations all about money
1)I wonder how greedy everyone in this class would be if they were head of a corporation, dont point fingers.
2)Shareholders care about the bottom line, and there's nothing wrong with that. Having said that corporations should be fined for damaging the environment needlessly.
1) i think big corporations should start thinking more about thier actions then thier money because soon thier actions are going to cost them thier money and then they will have to go to extremes to keep making money and making everything alot worse.
2)i think to move the social and enviromental points up to the bottem line the shareholders should eaither go on strike until things improve or until the companys money dries up and it gives in to get its workers back or they should all continually file complaints until they get a more eco and social friendly change even if its a little change every bit counts right?
Post a Comment